Thursday, February 7, 2013

Mr. McGregor's Garden

I'm planning my garden this week.  Texas offers two growing seasons: the Spring and the Fall.  Our biggest problem in the Hill Country is rock which makes above ground gardening the only way to go.  Our other biggest problems are too much heat and too little water which makes drip irrigation also the only way to go.  After three years of asking questions and going to gardening classes, I am ready to try my hand at Texas gardening.  Over Spring break Joseph (19) built three gardens for me.  The area is complete with fence around and a pristine little gate which  makes entering my garden an "affair".  I never open that little gate without thinking of Mr. McGregor's cottage garden in Peter Rabbit.  Here's hoping my little garden will actually grow and be fruitful so that little Peter Rabbits will envy it.

"God Almighty first planted a garden. And indeed, it is the purest of human pleasures."
Francis Bacon

1 comment:

Charity said...

"If you wish to be happy for an hour, drink;
If you wish to be happy for a day, cook;
If you wish to be happy for a week, sail
If you wish to be happy for a month, love
If you wish to be happy for a year, marry;
If you wish to be happy for a decade, read;
If you wish to be happy forever, pray;
But, if you wish to be happy all the while, garden."
Ian Guillen