Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Asking God For Blessings

Each day I come to our Father in heaven asking for His guidance, His wisdom, His mercy as I live out my moments.  Then again with my family, we ask for His help to live our day according to His will.  In the evenings we are again asking God to watch over us, keep us, bless us.  Occasionally, in all this asking I can feel a slight ping of guilt that I ask far too much.  Perhaps I should ask nothing of God, only sit and humbly take whatever He desires to give or do for me and my loved ones.  There has always been a bit of a quandary in what to ask of God.

This morning while reading Psalm 144, I was delighted to find David "asking" God to bless him with many of the same things I ask daily.  No, I don't have sheep (at least not now) or cattle.  Charity would probably not desire to look like a pillar in a palace.  But, my heart desires the same things.   I ask our Father to make my sons strong, to make my daughters secure, to give us plenty of good food, that we would be prosperous in the things that bring comfort to ourselves and others, that we would be safe where we live, where we work.  Blessed are we when blessings fall upon us!  It comforted my heart.  I hope it does yours.


May our sons in their youth
                        be like plants full grown,
            our daughters like corner pillars
                        cut for the structure of a palace;
            may our granaries be full,
                        providing all kinds of produce;
            may our sheep bring forth thousands
                        and ten thousands in our fields;
            may our cattle be heavy with young,
                        suffering no mishap or failure in bearing;
            may there be no cry of distress in our streets!
            Blessed are the people to whom such blessings fall!
                        Blessed are the people whose God is the LORD!
(Psalm 144:12-15 ESV)

No comments: