Thursday, January 31, 2013

Why do I lack no good thing?

Today was just "one of those days."  I woke up, made coffee, had devotions, thought about all I had to do, started to get texts from well meaning friends and then promptly got overwhelmed.  First day of the semester where I was genuinely overwhelmed.  Sadly, my response was rather horrid.  It's a blessing for everyone in my dorm that none of them have to room with me this semester.  I knew I was a grump and I knew that it was not right.  After going to class and trying to get back on top of myself without any success, I was walking across campus with a couple of friends - Brittney and Lydia.  Brittney asked how I was and Lydia could just tell.  I was genuinely trying not to complain, so I just said that it was a bit of a tough day.  Brittney was so gracious as she tried to comfort me in my silly little afflictions and left me with a "hope your day gets better!"  

Soon after this, I was able to think through my reaction to the day.  I was spazy and ridiculous.  Not at all how a child of the Most High should behave herself.  Praying for strength from the Holy Spirit to live as one ought to live if one is a child of the Most High, I continued on my day.  It is amazing what God will do with the feeblest of confessions and how He will answer those cries for help.  

Coming out of the library, I saw a man cutting a large flowering yellow plant.  He was chopping it back and stuffing the blooming shoots into a big trash barrel.  I wouldn't usually take much notice, but the blooming shoots being wasted in such a way was too much for my faerie-tale-prone self to take, so I went over and asked him if I could take some.  He gladly agreed.  Lydia, who was with me, couldn't understand what my problem was and laughed as I gathered up a large bundle.  I told her that they must be a gift from God, and I just couldn't pass up a gift.  Bringing them back to my room, I divided them up and I was able to get not one, but three large bouquets out of them.  What a wonderful little blessing to brighten up my day.

At history class later in the afternoon, my friend Brittney walks in the door with a coffee in her hands.  "For you" she says.  A simple and yet super sweet and meaningful gift.  Nothing cheers up a dull heart like coffee.  God made it that way I guess.  I thanked God for friends like Brittney who would go out of her way to bless a Puddle Glum like me.

Prof Jensen is my history teacher.  He is a loud talking, energetic professor who cruises through his lectures 100 miles per minute and hardly stops for a break.  However, today was different as the subject of the three musketeers came up and he surprised everyone by popping out bags of these chocolates and passing them around the room telling everyone to please enjoy a few of them.  
                                                                
Flowers, coffee, and chocolate.  A boyfriend couldn't have done better.  My groom, whom I so pitifully seek to serve does not leave me hanging in my weakness.  He does not seek for my harm or watch as I struggle to live well.  No, He is not just my groom, He is my Master who takes care of me.  Why does He do this?  Why did he do more than this as He encouraged me?  Really, for no other reason than that I might praise His name: to thank Him for my nose as I smell my flowers, to be amazed at His creativity as I sip on my coffee, and to wonder at His goodness as I eat my chocolate.  

"For as the heavens are high above the earth, so great is His mercy toward those who fear Him; as far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us.  As a father pities his children, so the LORD pities those who fear Him.  For He knows our frame; He remembers that we are dust." ~Psalm 103: 11-14

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Great post! Do you need a memo pad?

Charity said...

That'd probably be really smart, but the problem is I'd forget to look at it . . . I have been working really hard to schedule pretty much moment by moment this semester though! You would be proud Mom :)