Thursday, January 3, 2013

Birdseed Bread

When we lived in Montana, we had some good friends there, the Hollies.  The daughter, Char, was my sister's best friend and made delicious bread.  She passed the recipe down to my mom who made it a lot in Alaska and has recently begun to make it regularly again.  

I've been wanting to make birdseed bread for a while now.  I didn't have the guts to try it by myself in California, and it's a good thing I didn't.  This stuff is intense!  Yesterday my mom showed me how to make it.  Without a captain america kind of guy on hand or the handy dandy kitchen aid, this would be nearly impossible.  As I have not been blessed with a captain america kind of guy, we used the kitchen aid.  I love love love this bread!  It calls for around 3-4 cups of whole wheat flour which would make it super dense and heavy, so we went for only about half of that (previous bouts with this bread and 4 cups of whole wheat flour broke the kitchen aid).  


The most delicious thing about this bread is that you can add whatever kind of grains you so desire.  I chose bulgar wheat, sunflour seeds, brown rice, whole flax seed, and wheat germ.  By now you're either thinking that sounds superb or super nasty.  It's the former, I assure you.  The finished loaves couldn't have turned out any more beautiful.  They taste as amazing as they look too.  After baking them yesterday, we cut into them, put a little butter on top, and enjoyed the warm bread.  They were also outstanding toasted for breakfast with, of course, a little butter on top.  



No comments: