Friday, April 5, 2013

Contentment

Recently, God's Word has been teaching me the great art of contentment.  I'm learning it because of an unlikely problem.  That problem is none other then unanswered prayer.  Yes, unanswered prayer.  Seems funny doesn't it?  You would think if I prayed about something that I felt persuaded to pray over and over again, and I didn't see the answer...then I would suffer discontentment. "He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?"(Romans 8:32 ESV)
I mean, if God the maker of heaven and earth moves in me to think His thoughts and act upon His will, then He will provide those things that are needful to those of us on this earth who love and serve Him.  Right?.... you would think that truly humble, genuine, unanswered prayer could drive a person to severe discouragement.  And well actually it did.  BUT, as I began to bring it to the Lord and ask for wisdom concerning the situation, my discontent suddenly became great contentment. "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him." (James 1:5 ESV) I can rest in His answering me, or answering me differently than I want,  because He is a Sovereign God.  His timeline isn't mine.  He gives us all things, and I will lack no good thing. "Oh, fear the LORD, you his saints, for those who fear him have no lack!"  (Psalm 34:9 ESV) (Psalm 34).  Aaaahhhhhh...what a relief!  What a marvel!  So what if my little prayers did not get answered yet.  He is good and cannot lie.  I can trust Him.  And so I keep praying.



These two baby geese are Mary Beth's. I love it because of the calm contentment they showed in even getting in this pitiful example of a pond.  There they are, doing what geese do and showing no signs that they're thinking rebellious thoughts toward their governess. That's contentment.

No comments: