Wednesday, December 5, 2012

He is good? Yes. He is good.

I guess maybe I'm really bad at blogging.  Whenever I think that I should write something down, it comes in the form of a song I know.  Oh well, my blog, my rules right?  I'd rather have written this myself, but the simplicity of this song hits the nail on the head.  I've been learning, this semester, to trust God.  I thought I did trust God but there's nothing like God teaching me a lesson to show me all my failures in this area.  I can go to scripture and dive deep into theology and learn all about God's sovereignty, omnipotence, omnipresence . . . and still not trust Him.  At least for me, I must grasp this: God is good.  Like Lewis says about Aslan "Tame?!  No! He's not tame! But, he is good."  Tame?  My God tame?  No, He's not tame, but He is good.  I am glad He's not tame.  It made me mad when I first realized it; but really, how lame would that be?  Talk about putting God in a box.  But, God is good.  As I said, I could dive into theology and explain why it is that we know that God is good, but that doesn't seem to help me personally very much.  It is important to know and I have studied it, but when it comes down to it, it is just a bunch of scholastic details that don't affect my heart deep down.  Maybe it's because in my heart of hearts, I am no scholar but a simple girl who wants to simply love God and live for Him.  I love simplicity.  Everything is so much clearer that way.  Ok, all this to lead up to this song that I sing as a prayer to my Father to remind me of His goodness.

"Why are you cast down, O my soul?  And why are you disquieted within me?  Hope in God; for I shall yet praise Him, the help of my countenance and my God."

Always
You are good always 
And in all ways
You are working all things 
Together for our good
You are good always 
In big and small ways 
I know I can trust You
In everything You do

With the hard winds of life
Blowing out of control
It can feel like I'm all on my own
But You've given me Your word
And I know You'll never leave
And I've never faced a single storm alone

I can't say it's always 
Been a smooth open road
Or turned out the way I'd prefer
But one thing I'm sure of 
You've been faithful to me
And I live to give You all that You deserve

Written by Jon Mohr and brian Johnson
© 2007 Blue Saguaro Music / Brian Johnson Music (BMI)


1 comment:

Lisa said...

Jerry Bridges says it is much easier to obey God than to trust God. I think the untame lion is ultimately harder to love because He is ultimately beyond our minds and we cannot control him by taming Him. Yes, He is good always my lovely girl.