Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Selfishness of Unforgiveness


Another distinct characterization of unforgiveness that I have had to deal with in my own life is to open my eyes to the realization that unforgiveness is just down right selfish. I can just hear the little Vege Tales character saying, "You are sooooooooo selfish!" Yep, that's me. Selfish!
My natural sinful state makes me prone to prideful self arrogance that is easily angered and certainly does not want to forgive. "How could anyone offend such a great person such as I?" But, that isn't where we as Believers in Jesus have to live is it?
"And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender hearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you." Ephesians 4:30-32
Oh for the faith and courage to live in this world taking on a spirit of humility and self sacrifice. Then, when the offenses come, they go in one ear and out the other...hardly significant enough to think about.

No comments: