Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Am I a Pistol Packin' Mama?

A few years ago, I took a concealed weapons class with my husband. We had fun taking the class together. The first day was all lecture and the second day was at a shooting range. I wasn't comfortable with the shooting range. I had to wield the pistol for about 6 hours and follow every command I was given.
I passed the course and received my permit. But in the days ahead, I realized something important. In order to be proficient with that pistol, I needed to practice. Daily practice handling a handgun was just not on my list of "to-doe's". I soon came to the realization that I was more of a menace to myself and everyone else than I was helpful. It isn't a good feeling knowing how to use that pistol, but not really being very good at it.
It's kind of like dealing with others when they have wronged me. Taking it upon myself to bring "justice" when I have decided injustice has reigned. There is a better way.
Paul tells us in Romans 12:14, 19 to "Bless those who persecute you, bless and curse not. Never take revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God. For it is written, vengeance is mine. I will repay says the Lord."
When I don't forgive, when I harbor anger, hostility and bitterness, I am presuming to take the Lord's sword of divine judgement into my feeble hands. On second thought, I don't want that sword.
He isn't indifferent or slow to act. He has a plan to work all things out for my good (Romans 8:28-29). Isn't it a true fact that God is far better able to deal with the offender than I am? He is far better able to deal with consequences to sin than I am. After all, he sees the bigger picture...I am limited. He is the highest authority...I have no authority. He is impartial and just...I am partially selfish. He is eternal...I am focused on today.
Through the power of the Holy Spirit, it is my responsibility to choose forgiveness when another has offended me. I can leave vengeance in the hands of Lord.

1 comment:

darcie said...

today I'm reading your posts about forgiveness. . .time after time God's truth in Romans 12 redirects my thinking towards God's divine purposes, helping me to set my mind on the things above where Christ is. Lisa, keep reminding me. .