Thursday, November 15, 2012

Thankfulness


Philippians 4:6 “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your request be made known unto God.”


Thanksgiving should be underlined in this verse.  It is so easy to read it, recite it, hear it as “but in everything by prayer and supplication, let your request be made known to God.”  By prayer and supplication, I’m good at making my requests known to God.  However, how can the following verse be claimed when that one important word in this verse is left out?  Verse 7 says “and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.”  When the peace of God does not overcome my life in a supernatural non-understandable way, I must be missing something. 

Thanksgiving is the act of praising God for His works.  From the big to the little, God can be thanked.  Not only am I justified by Jesus, sanctified through Him and will be glorified in Him, but He bestows His other unique blessings on His children every day.  I have nothing left to desire simply knowing His great gift, but He doesn't stop there.  Throughout every day there are so many other graces that He gives.  The leaves on the tree, the squirrels chasing each other, the coffee I drink, the warm blankets I cover myself with, the friends I have, the conversations I am in, the people who pray for me, the people I pray for, the cool air, the trials I have, the songs in my mind . . .

“Bless the LORD, O my soul; and all that is within me, bless His holy name! . . . forget not all His benefits . . .” Psalm 103:1-2

No comments: