Wednesday, May 19, 2010

When Darkness Comes

I know that God runs everything. I know that all that happens to me or my family runs through the protective care of His Sovereign fingers. I know that all those things, good and challenging, are for my good and for His glory.

Sometimes though, when those seemingly sad things happen I can despair and forget my hope. I want Him to remove them NOW! I try to figure what I've done wrong, so I can make it right...cuz then maybe the bad will go away.

In the providence of His good will, I have been learning something new. Waiting on our good God to bring us through trials is at times exactly what we are to do. Sometimes, it is not His desire to "take them away". There are times when the darkness is just going to linger. This does not mean we are to give up, but to expectantly wait on His deliverance while we continue to obey His word.

David's Psalm 40:1-3 say he "waited patiently for the Lord; he inclined to me and heard my cry. He drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure. he put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God. Many will see and fear, and put their trust in the Lord."

So, it seems to me I should cry out to God and then I wait patiently for Him.

"We fight for joy. But we fight as those who are saved by grace and held by Christ." John Piper

Give to the winds thy fears,
Hope and be undismayed.
God hears thy sighs and counts thy tears,
God shall lift up thy head.
Through waves and clouds and storms,
He gently clears thy way;
Wait tho His time; so shall this night
Soon end in joyous day.
Far, far above thy thought,
His counsel shall appear,
When fully He the work hath wrought,
That caused thy needless fear.
Leave to His sovereign sway
To choose and to command;
So shalt thou, wondering, own that way,
How wise, how strong this hand.
Paul Gerhardt 1656

No comments: