Sunday, May 26, 2013

Floods and Gentleness

I don't think this has ever happened to me before. I have had the entire weekend to myself.  It's just a very quiet house, 2 dogs, 1 cat, Jesus, and me. San Antonio and the surrounding areas (where we live) are experiencing flash flooding conditions. The family is scattered all over the country today, and I'm staying home from church. Like I said, this kind of quiet is unheard of, unexperienced, not understood by me.  But...nice, very nice.

I will livestream our church service later this morning, but while I enjoyed my morning coffee I listened to a sermon on Titus 3 by Mark Zhakevich, Charity's shepherd in CA.  I was especially touched by his teaching on gentleness. Everyone we interact with should experience gentleness from us if we call ourselves Christian. Too often, this is not what I do. I don't take the time to be gentle. My type A personality can be demanding, harsh. I need gentleness.  There should be no restrictions on my gentleness.  It is for everyone, believer and non believer. As I teach, relate, work, nurture others...I am to be gentle.

Gentleness takes time. Gentleness takes patience. I have to slow down enough to think about what I am saying and how I should say it. It is not natural, it is only through the Holy Spirit that I learn this fruit.

The best thing of all I quote from Pastor Zhakevich: "People will be attracted to your faith as they watch your gentleness to one another." yes! that's what I want! Make me gentle, Lord Jesus.

"Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive." Colossians 3:12,13 ESV
May 25, 2013 San Antonio


No comments: