Sunday, October 14, 2012

My View the last 4 Days

I wasn't quite as successful as I had hoped in getting 20 hats made Thursday, but that's ok.  I figured a lot of stuff out.  Today Joey came back from a trip to MN where my parents, Natey boy, and Mikey (my nephew) were visiting my grandma and brought me back 21 hats that I had all ready to go from home.  So, my count as of right now is 42 hats.  It doesn't look like that many pinned up on the wall, but it's a lot.  I'm not sure the burlap will hold up too well.


The James 2 Project, as it's been called for a couple of years, started when we were in AK.  It was either dark all day and cold (which was cozy) or light all day and cool.  We were in the middle of nowhere according to most standards, were on the verge of being friendless, although God provided a few select very dear friends, and there really wasn't much to do.  (Although, honestly we did learn to entertain ourselves quite successfully, but those stories are for another time).  James 2:14-17 says "What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works?  Can faith save him?  If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, 'Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,' but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit?  Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead." After reading these verses, I was challenged to do something.  I didn't want to just sit around and be cold and lonely, but to do something active and slightly crazy.  Reading Do Hard Things by Alex and Brett Harris had an impact on my moving too.  After talking to my parents, I decided to put my crochet/knitting skills to work as a ministry.  

The project has developed from collecting 200 hats for Samaritan's Purse to hand out to destitute children the first year to collecting 100 hats and some Children's Bibles for some particular children in a particular place in Russia this year.  I'm excited.                                                                                                                                                                                                                              The point of the ministry is to show Christ's love in a very simple way by giving the gospel, hats, and Bibles to a group of orphans in Russia. 

 James 1:27 says: "Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world."  This is just a bit of a round about, long distance way to practice "visiting the orphans."  Wanna help?  Let me know :)
    




No comments: